O'HARA NATURE CENTER
Irvington, New York
As a condition of county involvement in the purchase of 26 acres of parkland known as the Westwood Preserve, the Village of Irvington agreed to create a nature center on the site. In 2008 the Village received a federal grant supporting the project. Though significant, the grant was not considered sufficient to cover construction and consulting fees. With a deadline for completion looming, Village officials were considering building a prefabricated vinyl-sided cape. In 2009, our firm agreed to design and engineer a more sustainable and functional building on a pro bono basis. The building, approximately 1200 square feet, includes an entry area, a classroom and restroom facilities.